[wp-hackers] WP-Manage: Automatic WP backups and upgrades with PHP

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Fri Jan 19 17:23:00 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 12:02 -0500, Dr. Mike Wendell wrote:
> No disrespent intended but you've never dealt with a soccer mom who
> barely understands how to make a post have you?  That or a couple
> hundred of them who we host. :)

Oh, I got customers of this sort as well. :-)

However, if you as web developer install a WP blog for somebody, then
all your mom needs to do for an upgrade is the following:

1. Log in to her WordPress account*
2. Go to www.example.com/wp-manage
3. Click "Start upgrade".

* If she isn't admin, give her the "import" capability via RoleManager.

How could it be easier? Or would you (your employees) do it yourself
each time? Or don't you do the upgrades and backups at all, leaving it
to the customer? Please enlighten me. ;-)

As I mentioned before, I also know and apprechiate the shell script
method. But this one is a different approach. By the way, there is also
the mysqldump command line tool, still do people use phpMyAdmin and the
WP-Backup plugin. ;-)

Best regards
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net