[wp-hackers] Upgrade instructions fatally flawed for Mac

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Tue Jan 16 00:36:49 GMT 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 19:04 -0500, Elliotte Harold wrote:
> There is a major bug in the upgrade instructions on
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress that can cause Mac users
> to lose their data. This needs to be corrected.

I agree that the possibility of data loss is given when an empty
directory is copied to a location where an identically named directory
exists. I also experienced this behaviour with some Linux apps (thank
god not on really important data). Whenever I describe the upgrade
process to somebody, I stress that wp-content/ needs to be deleted in
the upgrade package first.

I don't see the need for a specific upgrade package, though. I think
it's not asked too much doing this little step manually. However, Mark
Jaquith kindly provides diff packages:
http://markjaquith.wordpress.com/2007/01/15/

Best regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
work: http://www.zirona.com/ | leisure: http://www.roggenrohl.net