[wp-hackers] Need help with gallery plugin implementation

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Tue Feb 27 18:09:34 GMT 2007

In my own work, I opted for the "Make a Page, use a special Page
Template" approach.

The page then allows the blog owner to define the niceuri for stuff
(such as /portfolio/ or /photos/) as the page name/slug, but the
combination of a custom template plus a plugin then takes over the rest
of the work (rewrites, admin, etc.).  Once the Page is created, the rest
is all custom plugin admin panels.  At that point, it all becomes seamless.

This also allows for different pages for different hierarchies, or
further customization of custom page templates by the user via the
actual Page content (title, content, custom fields, etc.), gives you
instant password protection (built-in feature of pages), allows for
comments if you have that snippet in your template (and want it!), etc.

Yes, it would be nice if there were an option to keep such 'placeholder
pages' from the main page list functions.  That's not a feature I've
seen yet ('hidden' but published Pages).  OTOH, usually such a thing
(portfolio, 'shop', 'news', etc. subsections) is desired to be a 'named
Page' in the page lists, sidebars, etc.

So, not a perfect solution, but really easy, fits into existing
architecture, certainly compatible throughout most of wp2 releases.

-d