[wp-hackers] Unanswered tickets

Benedict Eastaugh ionfish at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:45:50 GMT 2007

There are plenty of reasons to close a ticket or reject a patch, but
there are quite a number of tickets (with patches) sitting there on
Trac without so much as a whisper of feedback, let alone any kind of
conclusion. Here are a couple of mine:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5442
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5393

And some other people's:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5293
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5398

There are plenty more examples out there. Are the authors of these
tickets doing something wrong? If so, what do we need to do to get
some attention directed towards these issues? Some (most?) of these
things are pretty minor and the ticket authors may feel they're not
worth making a big fuss over on this mailing list and so on, but if we
don't say anything, chances are they'll just sit there forever.

Which brings me to my second question: if we're not doing something
wrong, does the WordPress core team need another member who would be
prepared to go through all these minor tickets and implement or close
them as appropriate? Alternatively, perhaps we just need a couple of
people with a direct line to the core team who can go through these
tickets and bring attention to them when they're at a point where they
can be implemented. I've been on #wordpress-dev (or whatever the dev
channel's called, can't remember off the top of my head) a few times
in the hopes of bothering somebody about them, but everyone's always
idle when I'm on there (probably just the timezone thing).

Either way, I understand that the core team are very busy, both with
WordPress and their day jobs, but when Matt can post a ticket about a
defect, have an answer within a day, and then the ticket sits idle for
two weeks, the process is perhaps not going quite as intended.

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5412