[wp-hackers] Get rid of Reply-To munging

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:57:39 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 19:43 +1100, DD32 wrote:
> The problem with that is that many people contact those on-list
> privately via the address. For many here, This address will be the
> only one known to them, Its also the only one i get spam on though..
> So its highly tempting to drump all non-mailing list messages :)

Well, if this list didn't do stupid Reply-To munging, we wouldn't have
that problem.

For a long time, I have disliked the idea of munging, and there have
been a couple of cases where I have meant to reply off-list and
accidentally replied on-list, and that was all Reply-To's fault, because
of the inconsistency with mailing lists that are more intelligently set
up.

All the addition of Reply-To does is make it harder to reply off-list to
somebody. It does not make it easier for somebody to send to the list.
All mail clients have a Reply All feature, and if the one you're using
doesn't, well, it's your fault -- there are plenty of free alternatives
that do.

--
P.S. Sorry about the tone of this email -- I'm simply expressing my
thoughts. To tone it down would mean being dishonest, IMO.