[wp-hackers] Setting default options for plugin

Viper007Bond viper at viper007bond.com
Fri Aug 31 23:45:59 GMT 2007

Meh, I just write a checker for when I need the data (since I need to load
it anyway), something along these lines.

function loadsettings() {
$this->settings = get_option( 'my_plugin' );
if ( empty($this->settings) ) $this->settings = $this->defaultsettings;
}

Then whenever I need to load my settings, I call that function. If I don't
need any settings for this page load, the function never gets called. This
way, I know for sure that the options get loaded (I've had mixed results
with the on-load-plugin hooks).

And as for defaults, I never save them to the database (i.e. there's no
update_option() call in that function). I don't see the need, especially
since that way I can update the defaults in a future version and it'll
change the settings for all users who haven't customized their settings via
an admin form which uses update_option().

Viper007Bond | http://www.viper007bond.com/