[wp-hackers] WordPress.org and WordPress.com integration

Stephane Daury wordpress at tekartist.org
Fri Aug 31 16:45:18 GMT 2007

On Aug 31, 2007, at 12:10, Mark Jaquith wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Stephane Daury wrote:
>
>> On another note, I agree with you on having wordpress.com (and
>> the .org properties) having OpenID integration.
>> I'd even go as far as saying this should be a default feature in WP.
>
> Maybe someday.  It's a pretty big development "investment," so we'd
> definitely want to be sure OpenID was here to stay.  In the
> meantime, there are plugins that do it pretty well!

Indeed.

I wish WP had gotten one of the OpenID bounties: http://
iwantmyopenid.org/node/41
:)

On the long term viability, I think one thing that will affect it is
what comes down from the OpenID v.s SAML debate.

[quote src="cached copy of openid.net mailing list"]
   Why Not SAML?
     We'd like to use the parts of SAML (from the Liberty Alliance)
     that are appropriate, but the spec as a whole isn't an answer.
     Part of our OpenID requirements is that there's an AJAX version,
     which means the only type of RPC request we can do from the
     client to a remote host is a javascript or iframe'd request, and
     not everybody chooses to require SSL, which means the SAML
     bindings as-is won't work in that case, and we'll have to use our
     own JavaScript SAML wrapper at least in that case.
[/quote]

Stephane