[wp-hackers] Sharing Users/authentication

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Aug 30 22:17:41 GMT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:44 PM, Chris Lott wrote:

> So, I cleared everything out (de-activated plugin, deleted rows from
> wp_options, copied fresh plugin files) and tried again and here is
> what is happening... slightly different now.

Did you also clear the extra data out of the user_meta table?

> Starting with two blogs without the plugin. I install the plugin on
> the first (master) blog. Activate it. No errors. When I look at the
> options it is showing the right database and prefix.

So far so good.

> Note: I can't logout of that blog, though... when I try to sign out
> I just get
> redirected to the same page in the control panel area I am on.

That suggests to me that you have some problem that is unrelated to
this plugin.  Nothing I know of in this plugin should prevent you
from logging out.

Deactivate the plugin in both blogs, and see if the logout problem is
still there.

Actually, first just clear your cache and see what happens. :)

> At this point I see only one entry in the wp_options table.
>
> Go to second (slave) blog. Activate plugin. Go to options, put in
> database name (it is a diff database) and prefix (which is the same).
> No errors. I can sign out.

I suspected this might be the case.  I emailed the plugin author
separately asking just this a few minutes ago.  Is the login/password
the same or different on the two databases?

WAIT! I've got it!  The two have to have different prefixes.  Right
now they both think they are the master blog.  This is a bug.

(Though I'm still quite sure the "can't logout" problem is something
unrelated to this plugin.)

Hey Curt -- if you're reading this, my "auto detect Master/Slave"
suggestion just hit a snag!  :0  Maybe test for both prefix _and_
database name?

Stephen