[wp-hackers] SMF Integrator (A WordPress 2.2.2 Plugin)

Curt Woodard clwoodard at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 03:00:18 GMT 2007

Well, I'm very, very close to finishing this off!

What is SMF Integrator? SMF Integrator is a new plug-in for WordPress
2.2.2 and SMF 1.1.3.

Features:

    * WordPress and SMF share the SMF user tables. No need to have a
users table in WordPress any longer (though keeping it with the
default admin account is a good idea if there are issues). This
integration is achieved by using features in MySQL version 5 called
Views. In the most basic sense, fields in the smf_members table are
mapped to fields in the wp_users database. The result, along with a
custom user table definition, is that WP thinks the SMF members table
is it's own!
    * Due to the above feature ALL SMF members on your forums are now
able to access WP using the 5 default roles that WP offers. When a
user logs into WordPress for the first time, their usermeta
information is set up. But this is only if they were not added from
WordPress and already exist in SMF...
    * Administrators who are able to add and update users can do so
from the WP admin panel. Added/Updated users are immediately available
in SMF!
    * Users may update their profiles in WordPress if they have that capability.
    * SMF membergroups can be tied to specific roles, with the default
roles of Administrator, Editor, Author, Contributor, and Subscriber
already configured with the default SMF membergroups. Administrators
can change which membergroups belong to which roles via the handy
option panel.
    * Via the options panel, admins can update the path of SMF (where
SSI.php is located), change the name of the MySQL View that the
plug-in uses, and delete/reassign orphaned posts from WordPress's old
user table. Of course, if it's left alone, there's no harm or foul...
But there may be clashes due to the SMF user id's possibly matching
the WordPress ones...
    * All features of SMF still work.

I am currently working on:

    * Concurrent login: Logging into WP will log you into SMF.
    * Self-Registration from WP (I have that feature turned off atm... heh)
    * Lost/Reset Password requests from WP.

Installation is quite simple:
Make sure that you unzip SMF_Integrator.php into either a directory in
the wp-content/plugins folder or directly to that folder.

Edit the file to make sure the default option points to your SMF
directory. Otherwise it will crap out... heh. I know, it defeats the
purpose of the option, but you won't have to deal with the file again.
If you happen to move your forum to a different directory, you'll have
the option to change it.

Then activate the plugin from the plugins panel on the admin page.
That should be all there is to it. You'll need to log in as yourself
from SMF, but other than that everything should be cool. Usually, the
person who is running the forum is also user #1. But if this isn't the
case, let me know and I'll see about fixing this.

Once I have the above three taken care of, I'll make the plugin
available for beta testing. The interesting thing is, it's one file
that goes with WordPress and doesn't modify anything in SMF! Hopefully
this will be it, but I might have to do some file hacks to get around
the above issues with WordPress... we'll have to see.

Well, you've officially heard it here, features and all! Let me know
what you think and what features you'd like to *eventually* see!

Thank you all for your help!

-Ex