[wp-hackers] Absolute vs. relative URLs

Leonid Mamchenkov leonid at mamchenkov.net
Sat Apr 21 12:50:09 GMT 2007

Dear All,

It seems that quite a few people suggested to use relative URLs in
WordPress instead of absolute.  I've even seen some patches here and
there (Trac).  But the status of the issue is not clear.

What is happening with this?

Absolute URLs is about the biggest problem in our
development/deployment process for our customer's web sites.  Since
most of them already have web sites online, we can't develop under the
target domain.  We use a different host instead, and after everything
is done and ready, we have to change the 'home' and 'siteurl' values
in wp_options, 'guid' in wp_posts, and do a search-and-replace through
the text of all pre-set posts and pages ('About us', 'Contact us', and
whatever else the customer might have requested).

While we managed to somewhat automate the process, it's still error
prone and doesn't work very well in some situations, such as, for
example, several domains per web site.

--
Leonid Mamchenkov
http://mamchenkov.net