[wp-hackers] 2.2 release

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Apr 20 04:08:15 GMT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 11:43 PM, spencerp wrote:

> Awesome! I'll SVN CO the 2.2 branch on a sub domain on
> spencerp.net, and then starting testing/looking for issues. Let's
> try and get this puppy to the public asap! ;) :)

Yeah, which reminds me to remind you all: don't expect to be able to
SVN switch from a post-tags /trunk/ install and still have this
work.  So for people who have test blogs and would like to help us
get 2.2 out the door in a timely fashion, drop your tables and start
with a fresh install, or do an SVN up from 2.1.3 or earlier.

As for people who have been running trunk on their main blogs, I'm
sure someone will write a conversion script to get you back to pre-
tag state... you can just keep those blogs frozen on the current /
trunk/ revision until such a script is available.

And as a way of documenting my procedure for posterity (and maybe for
a future version of me doing a web search), this is how I cranked out
that patch:

(1) work backwards through http://trac.wordpress.org/log, looking for
patches that have to do with the feature
(2) click the link to look at the changeset
(3) right-click the "Unified diff" link at the bottom and select
(4) $ wget -O patch.diff <PASTE>
(5) $ patch -p0 -R < patch.diff
(6) correct any paths in the patch (for instance, I had to remove /
trunk/)
(7) note any failed chunks, and manually correct
(8) repair any collateral damage (patches with non-tag fixes that
went in with a tags change)
(9) repeat until the feature is removed

If the majority of commits had been non-tag commits, I would have
reverted to the pre-tags version and re-implemented those non-tag
patches, but since there were a lot of non-tag commits, I decided to
target tag commits for removal.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://markjaquith.com/