[wp-hackers] WP Developer Edition

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Mon Apr 16 18:09:38 GMT 2007

> Dr. Mike:
>On 4/16/07, Brian Layman <Brian at thecodecave.com> wrote:
>> However, what might be even better is taking a look at the enhancements
you
>> want, and offering them to the trac in a way that integrates them into
the
>> current WP core.
>Isn't that the point of plugins though?

It certainly can be.  That's why I recommended it later in my response.

But it sounds like he might have ideas that can't be addressed through the
API.  If that's the case, the solution is to organize the code, submit it to
the trac so that people can actually try it (vaporware doesn't go very far
and neither do stale tickets), and come back here to put forth your case.

I don't put stumbling blocks in front of creativity.  If he/they want to go
for it, I say go for it.  As long as they realize it is their own time they
are committing, and that the community isn't just going to belly up to
doubling the amount of work involved in a WP release.

A project descended from WordPress /is/ a lot of work and few have the will
to succeed.  WPMU and Lyceum come to mind as successes, but there are very
few others.  (Flashblog, I don't think is around any more, and I just
stumbled across WPopac, but I can't think of any others...)

I think I basically said the exact same thing as Doug.  I was just a bit
more subtle about it.