[wp-hackers] A "terms" table

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Apr 16 00:35:17 GMT 2007

On 4/15/07, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> Austin Matzko wrote:
> > plugin authors are going to leap on this new feature, and then
> > all their code would be broken at the next release.
>
> It would make the conversation more useful if the longer messages were
> read more closely, I cover plugin authors specifically in my original
> email on this thread. If you disagree about any points there, it would
> be good to reply directly, rather than making a false assumption on
> something that has already been discussed.

Plugins always want to do more than API allows.  If we added API for
every possible thing people might want to do with tags, we'd spend as
much time fleshing out the API as redoing the schema.  I think we must
acknowledge that we will have to suffer two rounds of breakage if we
leave 2.2 as is.  Maybe that's acceptable.  My inclination is to delay
and get it right in 2.2, but I confess that I think too much like an
engineer who always wants more time to, well, engineer.

Ryan