[wp-hackers] Plugin Update Checker

DD32 wordpress at dd32.id.au
Tue Apr 3 09:31:40 GMT 2007

> My plugin (http://www.bluetrait.com/page/btev/) already has an update
> checker, but I'm more than happy to work on a new an improved system.
If a plugin author wants to build their own update functions in, then
thats fine by me, as it shouldnt affect any other plugins.

> now that there's one at WP.org, I suggest we make use of it.
Exactly my thinking..
I'd like to get a XML interface to the Plugin/Theme search pages, as well
as for individual Plugins..
I've written up some very basic draft xml ideas allready, and plan on
contacting those involved to see if anything like it could be
implemented(with or without my help), Or if i'll have to continue to rely
on parsing the HTML files(which will be a PITA if they change the layout..)

http://wp-plugins.net/ for example can dump out a file of serialized data
about the plugin if you know the correct URL to fetch.
Theres an update notifier for plugins hosted by them available here:
http://www.mutube.com/projects/wordpress/update-manager/

> DD32: Bah! I wish I hadn't dropped out of school. <_<  That Summer of
> Code thing sounds so worthwhile. :(
I'm hoping its worthwhile, It should be, I'd love to see all the ideas
that students put in for it though(6,000 proposals were submitted in total
for all the projects..) Its a shame that only 800 of those ideas get
chosen..