[wp-hackers] SVN: /branches/stable/

Adam Batkin adam at batkin.net
Fri Sep 29 09:31:18 GMT 2006

>> I think it would work, but I've never tried it. Does SVN support ln?
>
> Only on *nix, I believe.  It doesn't have it's own links, as far as I
> know, but will accept a filesystem link as just another thing to version.

Probably not. Subversion has two backends, one uses Berkeley database
(bdb) the other uses the filesystem as backing (fsfs). Like CVS, you
probably shouldn't mess with the repository. That includes symbolic
links (and if they use bdb then it is a moot point anyway).

What if you just kept up-to-date using /branches/2.0?

Or even better, rather than changing the repository (i.e. forcing the
devs to *move* a tag every time a new release is made, in addition to
the tag that is normally made for each release), change your update
scripts to dynamically select the revision to grab.

One option would be to look at all the tags and figure out which one
looks like the latest, and update to that tag.

Another option (probably safer, and certainly easier) is to have your
script grab a particular URL that you control and inside its contents
you have the tag name, then have your svn update script use that tag. If
you want to push all your wordpress installs to a new revision, just put
the new tag name into the url and wait until the following morning (or
whenever) for the upgrade script to run. Best part is that the WP devs
don't need to do anything to make this work.

Just a thought,

-Adam Batkin