[wp-hackers] giving original plugin author credit when altering code

Ron Guerin ron at vnetworx.net
Wed Sep 27 16:24:26 GMT 2006

Scott Plumlee wrote:

> Any preferences from plugin authors on the list? I've read this:
> http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin#Plugin_File_Structure, so
> I'm wondering if adding some sort of 'Original Plugin Name' line to give
> the correct credit.

I think once you modify something, you should credit yourself as the
author, solely, because otherwise you may do a great disservice to the
original author based on his/her getting complaints about your code when
he's not responsible for it and can't do anything about it.

You should of course give full credit to the original author, but
without exposing them to the potential fallout from your modifications.

ex:
   Author:   YOU
   Based on: The hard work and amazingly useful plugin by THEM,
             which I have modified slightly/heavily to do XYZ.
             Please don't bother THEM with any bugs/support issues
             with this modified plugin.

Listing it this way:

   Author: YOU & THEM

suggests THEM worked with you to release this modified plugin, which is
most likely not the case.

One of the ways you show your appreciation for the work of others is to
give them proper credit.  One of the other ways you show them
appreciation is by not saddling them with the consequences of your
modifications.

- Ron