[wp-hackers] WordPress and 'LinkWare'

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Tue Sep 26 11:09:14 GMT 2006

___/ On Mon 25 Sep 2006 18:46:30 BST, [ Florian Kriener ] wrote : \___

> On Monday 25 September 2006 19:42, Vinicius Provenzano wrote:
>> As you said, If the themes are GPL'd you can drop the link if you want.
>> IMHO it's themes can be very difficult to "license" in the real world, and
>> track these licenses is something I can't figure out how it will be. There
>> is, the code is "licensed", but if i rewrite it from scratch to have the
>> same look and feel am I breaking the license?
>
> You're breaking the copyright on the design then (at least in Germany).

If the themes are GPLv2'ed, then you can do as you please so
long  as you redistribute or make the code freely  available
(probably  granted  when you deal with (X)HTML/CSS). And  as
the ruling in germany demonstrated a couple of days ago, the
GPL holds valid in court.

> It's so weird linkware licensing...

It  is.  And since nothing that we speak of is encoded as  a
'binary blob' (e.g. binary form, Digital Restrictions Mess),
it  would be rather hard to restrict people from  exploiting
freedoms they deserve.

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate in Medical Biophysics
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU/Linux  |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E