[wp-hackers] New Default Theme For 2.1

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 20:07:56 GMT 2006

On 8/7/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for the inclusion of Sandbox.

The discussion fizzled but Robert's sentiment above was shared by
many. To help things along, I've done a bit of hacking.

I have a trunk checkout modified to do the following:
* add Sandbox as wp-content/themes/sandbox
* remove the admin page from Sandbox
* remove the template files from wp-content/themes/default
* retain themes/default/images
* modify default/style.css to use the Sandbox templates
* modify default/functions.php to accommodate the Sandbox header
markup in the custom header routine

What this means:
* The default theme is still based on the famous Kubrick
* The default theme uses Sandbox templates
* Kubrick code is ALL GONE (except functions.php) (this breaks all
existing stylesheet-only themes which utilize default templates)
* Sandbox "skins" are redundant -- they should be released as
stylesheet-only themes -- so Sandbox doesn't really need an admin page
* Sandbox itself is naked (is this a problem?)

Other options:
* Place Sandbox templates in themes/default
* Remove "Sandbox" credit link from theme markup (Default has the
Kubrick URL in an HTML comment, which we could do with Sandbox)
* Add custom header image uploading for Kubrick from WordPress.com (new)
* Scrap Sandbox as a default theme candidate

What do you think?

Andy