[wp-hackers] Tabbed Editor

Brian Layman Brian at TheCodeCave.com
Fri Sep 22 13:15:04 GMT 2006

As I said in my last email, I think 3 tabs would be better. One with TinyMce
one with Quicktags and one with unfiltered HTML that saves directly from
that tab. The preference could still be set in the user profile.  (Perhaps
you only choose std or advanced and advanced defaults you to using QuickTags
as the first tab.)  This would also address the concern of all of those who
have requested an easy way to switch between the quicktags editor and the
WYSIWYG editor.

I usually use the quick tags editor.  On rare occasions, I will use TinyMCE
for its convenience and for normal posts, it is not THAT far off the track.
I'd probably use it more if it were just a tab.  There are certain times,
often when bringing in content from external sources, that you need the raw
HTML to fix issues - misaligned tags and ill placed <br/> vs <p/> etc.  Even
then, there have been times when I've had to edit it within PHPMyAdmin just
to get it to do exactly what I wanted it to.  It will be nice to be able to
save directly from the RAW html tab without re-loading it into the other
editors prior to the save.  Any editor will interpret what it loads and
saves.  Loading and saving bitwise (or even functionally) identical content
from a third party source is difficult, if not impossible to achieve in ever
case.  It's a standard 95/5 situation, where the last 5% of the work of
getting an editor to be perfect would take 95% of the work and effort.
Saving from Raw HTML will fix that...

Brian Layman
www.TheCodeCave.com