[wp-hackers] Job Opening for WP developer

Justin Sheckler sheckler at nytimes.com
Wed Sep 20 19:50:20 GMT 2006

Hi everyone,

My apologies if this is seen as spamming the list.  My employer, the New York
Times, is looking for someone to act as lead dev for our editorial blogs.
We're looking for someone with extensive WP experience, and not having much
luck via the traditional outlets (Monster, HotJobs, etc.) hence this posting
to the list.  This is strictly an *on-site* job here in NYC.  (I am currently
acting as interim dev while we look for a permanent candidate.)

If you're interested, please contact me at <sheckler at nytimes.com>.  Here's the
formal job posting:

----------

Wordpress Web Developer

NYTimes.com, the #1 newspaper site with 1.7 million worldwide visitors a day,
is seeking an experienced Wordpress Developer to manage our highly-trafficked
and growing set of blogs (http://www.nytimes.com/blogs).  The blogs have all
been highly customized to fit into the NYTimes technology stack and
publishing environment.  Beyond having deep experience with the Wordpress
platform and its plug-ins, the ideal candidate will be a savvy, all-around
web applications developer who is comfortable in a LAMP environment.

While the web developer’s primary responsibility will be to manage, develop,
and enhance the various Wordpress blogs produced at NYTimes.com, it is
expected that his/her responsibilities can and will expand to other
technologies and areas of the site depending on the developer’s specific
skill set and interests.

This position is in the software development group of NYTimes.com.

Requirements:
3-5 years expertise in hand-coding HTML, JavaScript, CSS, and DHTML across a
range of browsers
2-3 years experience programming in PHP
2-3 years experience developing and maintaining Wordpress blogs
Strong working knowledge of SQL and Apache (mod_include a major plus)
Experience working in a Unix environment (FreeBSD a plus)
General familiarity with internet networking
Enthusiasm for emerging technology, especially AJAX and Web 2.0 APIs
Ability to weigh editorial and design concerns against technical constraints

The New York Times Company is committed to a policy of providing equal
employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national
origin, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation or disability.

--
// Justin Kerr Sheckler
// Application Developer
// sheckler at nytimes.com