[wp-hackers] $wpdb query

Robin Adrianse shorty114 at shorty114.net
Wed Sep 20 02:42:38 GMT 2006

Like you said, I'm not sure if this is the best place for a request like
this, but here's my answer:

Categories: A category is made a subcategory by setting category_parent to
something other than 0, namely the ID of the category which is its parent.
If it is 0, then it will just be handled as a root category (no parents). If
you can't figure out the SQL for this, feel free to ask.

Pages: First off, a page is differentiated from a post by the setting of
post_status. Pages always have it set to "static" (without quotes, of
course), and posts can have it published, draft and private. That said, a
page is made a sub-page similarly to a category. There is a field
post_parent which is the ID of the page's parent. If it is 0, it is a
root-level page.

I hope this answered your questions.