[wp-hackers] RTE

Rob Miller r at robm.me.uk
Sat Sep 16 17:15:36 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> On 9/16/06, Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps a better solution would be to make TinyMCE the full-time default
>> for supported browsers, and then plug in its removal either entirely or
>> by added options somewhere.  /me waits for upheaval.
>
> I still say moving it out of the core to a bundled plugin activated by
> default would be nice. That would mean I could just deactivate it and
> remove the wp-content/plugins/tinymce/ directory and be done with it.

For what it's worth, I still agree with this. I think users that want to
switch between TinyMCE and the regular text box on the fly are a very
small minority; why make things needlessly complex?

The plugin idea is even simpler and more efficient than the existing
behaviour; it caters for those who want to keep the RTE--probably the
majority--and is easier for those who want just a regular textarea.

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/