[wp-hackers] remove a category name from the internal rewrite rules?

Scott Plumlee wp-hackers at plumlee.org
Tue Sep 12 13:13:26 GMT 2006

I browsed through the support forums and thought this might be a little
too involved for there, so I'm trying here.

I use wordpress as a CMS for our site (which has worked superbly, the
flexibility is excellent).  We run some monthly specials, and I use the
category of 'specials' to indicate an item is on sale and to replace the
price with the sale price along with some other trickery.

I didn't realize when I set up my permalinks using categories and post
name that I would be creating a problem.  When I add an item to the
'specials' category, the permalink changes because the 'specials'
category is one of the lowest numbered categories, lower than the normal
category of the item.  So instead of the permalink being
'/itemcategory/itemname', it's '/specials/itemname'.

I considered changing the category number of 'special' to something like
9999 and then resetting the auto increment setting to start at a lower
number. But before I do that, I'm wondering if it's possible to exclude
certain categories from the internal rewrite rules, in effect hiding
those categories from the process that creates the permalink.  If anyone
has another idea about how to do this, I'd be interested.