[wp-hackers] Text ads in themes

Craig nuclearmoose at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 19:51:54 GMT 2006

Typing as I think this, so please bear with me...

Concept:
Authors wishing to be listed in the official repository must build their
themes to an accepted minimum standards (whatever is deemed appropriate.)
Authors include full metadata about the themes, including, but not limited
to, licence of distribution, version number, support site/forum links,
inclusion of links. Even how to remove any ads or links if allowed would be
good.
Themes are then sorted accordingly, and when community members are browsing,
they will know exactly which themes are GPL, which are linkware, shareware
or whateverware.
If the author does not supply the minimum metadata, then their themes are
simply not added, and they get a polite, generic reply to their application
stating why the theme will not be included.

I think WP has a lot to gain by making all options available and visible to
people, and if WP as an "organization" makes it easy to find these
resources, and ensures that users know what they are getting, then it
benefits everyone.

I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
Craig.