[wp-hackers] Thoughts on Ultimate Tag Warrior

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:41:56 GMT 2006

On 9/4/06, Michael B <miklb.online at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/4/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:

> That is just run off the regular category system, we just call it tags.
> > People like it because it drives traffic to their blog and allows them
> > to discover similar blogs.
> >
> > Interesting notes from WP.com experience:
> >
> > * We get about 2 tags/categories per post, which is in line with
> > Flickr's average
> >
> > * When we asked recently about people's favorite feature, categories
> > were the overwhelming choice:
> >
> > http://wordpress.com/blog/2006/09/02/favorite-feature/
> >
> > Which makes me hesitant to rock the boat too much.
>

> Is it fair to base the future  of  WordPress  on  comments from bloggers
> at
> wp.com?  Specifically beginners who don't work with modifying or editing
> their template files?

Agreed.  I recall when I first started blogging I was quickly up to 50+
categories in a deep hierarchy.  Happily.  Because, frankly, I didn't know
any better or alternatives.

When I finally came to grok the concept of tags/taxonomy I quickly cut down
to 4 or 5 categories -- and lots of tags.  My complexion cleared up, I lost
10 lbs and my cholesterol dropped dramatically.  Truly, tags are a win.
(ok, maybe that last part was a bit exaggerated).