plugin licensing was( Re: [wp-hackers] Plugin author stats )

Lloyd D Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 17:15:50 GMT 2006

On 10/24/06, David Chait <davebytes at comcast.net> wrote:
> More importantly, what about dual licensing?  I know of TONS of OSS projects
> where there's a commercial-use license separate from the personal-use
> GPL/et.al. license.  Heck, isn't that how id licensed the Quake sources?

I don't think your description reflects the licensing, or by
definition of OSS the projects you describe are not OSS. For example
mysql "commercial" licensing is for if GPL does not meet my (a user of
mysql) distribution needs (basically).

> I'm on the verge of either dropping support of many of my plugins or needing
> to do commercial licenses for people with money-making (i.e., commercial)
> websites.  I'm glad WP is GPL, I'm fine with the fact that Matt has a
> company making money off this project (and offshoots, not all of which are
> open source...), but GPL doesn't work for me.  A dual-license scheme would
> potentially work, though admittedly I've never really looked into it.

Depending on how your plugin interacts with WP core, all its licenses
would have to be GPL compatible, if you wish to distribute it.

Hope that helps,
Lloyd