[wp-hackers] 2.1 Ongoing Work

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Oct 19 23:12:27 GMT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Ryan Boren wrote:

> Here are the 2.1 projects that are currently ongoing and the
> decisions that still need to be made.  We need to wrap these up
> soon and drive to beta.

Yes, please!  I think if we all pitch in, we might be able to get
this thing released before we all start taking winter holiday
breaks... preferably a week before, so we don't have a repeat of the
2.0 release (issues cropped up, but most of us were on vacation).

> * Uploader improvements. (mdawaffe)

I'd like to see attachment URLs move to post_meta.  We're using the
GUID as the URL, and that really sucks.  It has the domain hardcoded
in there (needed to keep it globally unique), so if you move domains
or directories, you need to edit the GUID (manually) and by doing so
you're breaking your GUIDs.  We're better than this.  We need to move
completely to WP-directory-relative links and fill in the get_option
('siteurl') on the fly.

> * Localize plugin and theme metadata.  Patch from nbachiyski
> waiting review and commit.  #3089

I'll take a look.

> * RTL Support.  Support RTL in admin and default themes out of the
> box.     Patches from Sewar waiting for commit.  #3136 #3217

This has been your area... I'm lost like an ethnocentrist in a United
Colors of Benetton ad. :-)

> * Finalize nomenclature of Blogroll/Links/Bookmarks.

::nods::

> * Make decision on Combined Category behavior and UI.  Perhaps
> include MarkJ's category UI work. #3130

Matt mentioned the possibility of adding tagging to the core, for
those crazy people (okay, me) who tag AND categorize.  My patch is
aimed at allowing people to use the current system as a tagging OR a
categorization system, but not really both at the same time.  We'd
need type="tag" in post2cat or even a new rel table if we were going
to support both.  We could use parts of my patch for the tagging part
(taking out the hierarchical code).  That may be a bit ambitious for
2.1   If that's where we're headed in 2.2 (tags + categories),
applying my patch for 2.1 as an interim solution might only confuse
people.

> * Autosave tweaking.  Still have some edge case bugs here.

We need to decide how autosave will handle stuff like postmeta and
any other random form elements that may be inserted by plugins (see
the hackers thread on this).  Plus, there have been some reports of
published posts disappearing.

> * wp_cron and future posts.  Any remaining issues?

This needs to be solid, as future posts depend on it.  It has me a
bit worried (mostly because of potential server-specific quirks).

> * Page on front.  We still have some issues lingering.

Point me to 'em.  This is a big "selling point" for 2.1

> * Import/Export.  Remaining issues?  Sufficient to replace DB
> backup?  I think masquerade has some patches for this waiting.

It's not sufficient to replace DB backup at this point.  Is our goal
to replace DB dump/import functionality completely (i.e. all the
tables)?

> * Bundling.  Include widgets?  Include scriptaculous?

I like the idea of bundling widgets.  I was doing a project for a
company, sticking their widget in the WP sidebar... was trying to
sell them on making it a widget, but they weren't happy with the
penetration of the widgets plugin (so we ended up using the less
versatile wp_meta hook).  It definitely fills a gap.  Do we do it as
a bundled plugin or do we make it core?

> * Other stuff?

Will pipe up as it comes to me.

--