[wp-hackers] alternative database support

Michael K. Dolan Jr. email at michaeldolan.com
Tue Oct 10 14:35:19 GMT 2006

Robert Deaton wrote:
> Here's a summary of all the reasons why I think this is a bad idea.
>
> 2. Speed and scalability.
Anyone who's done extensive performance testing of MySQL can vouch that
it is one of the worst performing and least scalable database options
for demanding workloads - now a blog... it doesn't really matter b/c
these are fairly lightweight workloads. But if the index is so tapped
for performance... maybe there are other options.

Now I like MySQL b/c 1) it's free (at least until you try to
distribute...) and 2) it's everywhere and well supported by the
community. I don't want to get into a perf/scalability argument but
there's nothing to say that just introducing other database platforms
will hurt performance. It's how you introduce other database platforms
that could affect performance.

> 3. Plugins.
This issue is just a result of the architecture as it's been; not
necessary how it has to be going forward. Besides if someone is going to
port on their own, they'll probably just do the same with the plugins
they rely on.

> 4. Controlling the environment.
I completely agree but there has to be a way to manage this through
testing/etc. And if it's just someone doing a port for their own use -
it won't affect your support anyway.

> 5. Support.
Other application vendors seem to find ways of supporting just about any
database on the market. If the right design is built in, it's easy.
Maybe this is something for v3.0....