[wp-hackers] alternative database support

Michael K. Dolan Jr. email at michaeldolan.com
Tue Oct 10 02:49:05 GMT 2006

Sam Angove wrote:
> On 10/8/06, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
>>
>> WordPress doesn't do anything that fancy with the database. There is
>> feature-comparable software driven purely by text files.
>
> OTOH, that ought to make DB-independence easy. :P
>
>> 1) Infinitely more complex testing (we have enough trouble with W/LAMP)
>
> *cough* Unit tests. *cough*

Agreed.

I can't see why WP wouldn't support multiple DB platforms - most of the
DB calls seem very basic and there's nothing really binding to MySQL.

A few seem to be asking the obvious question: why bother? The problem is
it's missing a large part of the market (corp types) where DB platforms
may not be so open to options and then weird things happen - like the
"short list" is based on all the blogging apps that do run on your
current infrastructure. At my company for instance, WordPress would not
be possible or an option simply b/c of the database - which is dumb,
yes, but fact of life.