[wp-hackers] Libertus Anti-Spam?

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Mon Oct 9 17:22:16 GMT 2006

Computer Guru wrote:
> Someone help me out here.
> Is this for real?
>
> "Based on a denatured version of Akismet, my anti-spam plugin tests whether
> each comment can be compressed, and if so, by how much. Comments that
> compress 5 or more times are marked as spam."

Just a guess, but I suppose it's based on the spams that contain looong
lists of links, all with a common domain. Which would compress really well.

But I don't think I'd want to rely on this as a spam detection method.
There's too much of a chance of false-positives if this thing is as
simple as he seems to be indicating. He's saying that a 5-1 compression
ratio indicates spam. I've seen non-spam texts that compress at ratios
10-1 or better.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/