[wp-hackers] Maintenance release, first gate of "is the issue major?"

Lloyd D Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 17:02:03 GMT 2006

On 10/5/06, Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:

> > Each of the fixes seem to stand on their own, but quantity of change
> > increases the risk of fault.
> >

> I disagree with this.  At work we have always striven for Maintenance
> releases to contain only low risk changes - i.e ones where we can see the
> bug and test the solution easily - rather than to keep maintenance
> releases small.

The goal is not to keep maintenance releases small, but to keep risk
low. "Low risk" and/or well tested fixes for a a maintenance release
is a second gate.

One of the awesome aspects of the WordPress project currently is that
near trunk is deployed regularly on WordPress.com . This is unique in
my experience and an awesome commitment by Automattic.

> In the future with the proposed 120day model we wouldn't need this
> maintenace release as we would already have released 2.1 months ago.

Yes I think we would. The maintenance release would be for 2.1
instead, as this release is triggered by a security issue.

You are correct that a regular release cycle reduces the desire of
fixing the niggler bugs in maintenance releases.

Thank you,
Lloyd