[wp-hackers] Easytags template system

Chris Casciano chris at placenamehere.com
Wed May 10 15:21:40 GMT 2006

On May 10, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Craig wrote:

> On 5/10/06, Chris Casciano <chris at placenamehere.com> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Since you're trying to solve the new user "problem" the question as I
>> see it has to be do you gain enough by pushing this conflict further
>> down the line for someone learning WordPress to make the switch from
>> where you're at now worth any of the other logistical headaches.
>

> This isn't just about new users. I've been using WP since late 2003
> and I am
> barely more PHP-savvy now than I was then. This isn't about learning WP
> itself, either. This is about providing opportunities for users that
> current
> don't exist.

At the risk of dragging this back and forth on I think the two of us
are /almost/ talking about two different things here.

As I read Matt's earlier proposal he would just be creating a view or a
mask over the template files via regexes or some other mechainism to
mask some of the uglyness of PHP syntax and some of the initial
intimidation factor of the "the templates are in PHP" statement.

To me this would approach would change little about the "code" the user
really has to write to get things to work in those templates. They
still would have to know all about loops and queries (or objects if
some of that gets sufficiently obscured) and all the other stuff that
one must develop in order to make a template function. I didn't see
much proposed that would abstract those concepts into something easier
to digest in a way that's typical of full blown template languages.

But maybe I'm mistaken and I'm not reading enough into the vision.

--
[ Chris Casciano ]
[ chris at placenamehere.com ] [ http://placenamehere.com ]