[wp-hackers] AutoTheme for WordPress Introduction

Shawn McKenzie shawn at mckenzies.net
Thu Mar 16 00:28:36 GMT 2006

Hi Jefte,

Actually, I resell some of a designer's themes on my site (the 495 is
just one designer), but the thousands of themes are on many other sites,
sites of the theme designers.  Any AutoTheme runs on any AutoTheme
supported platform, even if a theme designer markets it for a specific
platform.  There are many designers in the PHP-Nuke, PostNuke and
several shopping cart system  communities that create great free and
commercial themes for AutoTheme.  Sorry to shake your confidence, but I
am no merchant, the only ware that I peddle is AutoTheme, and at present
I don't have a commercial offering for WordPress, it's all free and GPL.

Hi Phu,

I agree that WP has a capable theme system, but AutoTheme is infinitely
more capable and I didn't develop it for WP.  I had already developed it
and have had tons of requests to port it to WP.  It started out many
years ago for PostNuke and PHP-Nuke and has grown as demand has
dictated.  So now you have something for nothing.  As for the
significant advantages, you would either need to read about it and use
it, or I can briefly outline maybe 5% of the advantages:

1.  You can easily theme any page on your WP site with no PHP, just thru
a WYSIWYG editor.
- users don't have to worry about PHP or even the guts/functions of WP,
just HTML and add some comments that act as AutoTheme tags
2. Extensive Admin interface to configure and control all aspects of
every theme (block placement, what templates are used for what and when,
etc.)
3. Instead of a side bar with multiple pieces (links, pages, categories)
they are individual blocks that can be controlled via a GUI admin and
placed anywhere.
4. Many Extras (plugins that do a variety of things), i.e.:
- Ability to create and use a "printer friendly" theme for every page in
your site and add a link to it on pages.
- program a certain theme to be shown during certain periods of the day
(6pm - 6am)  another (6am - 6pm) etc
- program certain themes for certain dates or date ranges (a summer
theme during the summer or a Christmas theme on Christas, show a random
theme, etc.)
- Custom site entry pages
- Transition or ad pages that can be programed to be shown on load of
certain WP pages every X number of times, etc.

It's a choice.  It doesn't replace the current PHP themes.  You can use
one or the other or both.

If anyone is interested, I can assist with testing or explanations.
Have an open mind and try something that you may end up liking.

Thanks!
-Shawn