[wp-hackers] Error Handling [was: Cron Improvements and Error Logging]

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Thu Mar 9 07:43:46 GMT 2006

On 3/9/06, Robert Deaton <false.hopes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Error logging
>         Make the formal $wpdb->log table schema, which should be a table
> suitable enough for generic logging [...]
>         This whole thing is API'd out for custom log types and messages that
> plugins can display in the viewer.

Misc thoughts:

* If it's all "API'd out", Isn't it the error *handler* part that's
needed in the core, then, rather than the logger? Logging can be just
one of multiple possible actions when an error occurs, along with
emailing/paging the admin, displaying a message, redirecting to
another page...

* What about a pluggable error handler loaded like the object cache?

* I'm concerned about reliance on a DB table because one of the errors
I'm most interested in acting on is a failure to connect to the
database.

* It's hard to take action on specific errors unless there's some kind
of error code system, and error codes are a pain to remember. Is it
better to have a code for every different message -- in which case
there'll be a *lot* -- or just a few, like a general
"NOT_GOOD_ENOUGH_HA_HA" kind of thing sent with all of the permission
denied messages, "CANT_READ_COMMENT_INSTRUCTIONS" for the comment
posting errors, etc.?