[wp-hackers] Capabilities and Plugins

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 14:34:37 GMT 2006

On 05/03/06, Owen Winkler <ringmaster at midnightcircus.com> wrote:
> Because there is no guarantee that an "administrator" role exists.
> Determining which role functions in an administrative capacity can be
> problematic.

Mark Jaquith and I discussed this last night on #wordpress-dev and
thought it might be nice to assign some special status to
administrator (or possibly have some hidden role, 'superrole', 'root'
or something) that acts as a sink for all possible caps, along with a
get_superrole() function. This would make it nice and easy to tell
which caps are available, and might allow easier administration if
special privs are needed.

On the other hand, that might be overkill if we allow some method of
registering caps without tying them down to a specific role.

Actually, now I think about it, it doesn't make any sense to have a
cap which isn't tied to a role. If plugins don't want any existing
roles to have their cap, just create a new role and assign the cap to
that. Then Role Manager picks up that cap (if I remember the code
correctly). Or am I missing something?

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net