[wp-hackers] Community Views on Now and the Future

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 00:59:00 GMT 2006

On 3/4/06, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> Ryan Boren said:
> > Maybe even three IRC channels.
<snippity>

> There was a time when #wordpress was the place for help.  Matt has
> consistently steered people away from #wordpress because he wants
> people to use the forums.  His rationale is legitimate, but Matt's
> preferences do not coincide with everyone else's.
>
> Matt consistently refuses to assign ops to anyone in #wordpress on a
> regular basis in order to keep it on topic.
>
> How many other projects have a general #project channel with a
> separate #project-help channel?

Personally, I don't mind the way that #wordpress is for most help
right now. Generally speaking, when someone comes in for help, most
other people have learned to drop their conversation for a few minutes
while that person is being helped. There are, however, a number of
people who haven't gotten that yet, but then again, I suppose that its
not really a requirement, seeing as its "not a support channel" and
thus is not required to stay on topic or help at all, and I think that
if we changed direction a bit and enforced that rule somehow, we don't
need the segmentation of channels (but for the record, I know of just
one channel, #azureus, which has a -help/-support channel, but I do
know some channels who do the opposite, like #gentoo has
#gentoo-chat).

As for a -dev channel, no opposition to that here, would be nice to
have a channel to talk about little more than code, and it'd be pretty
neat if we could do similar to #madwifi with their bot that informs of
trac changesets and ticket changes (theirs does wiki changes too, but
we don't use the trac wiki for much of anything).

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com