[wp-hackers] AJAX

Tom Armitage tom.armitage at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 09:31:48 GMT 2006

Don't forget the many accessibility issues AJAX has.

There's more to "graceful degradation" than making it work without
Javascript. There are many clients in popular use on the web that
understand Javascript, will update a DOM element after page-load, and
which *do not inform the user that that particular element has
altered*. So whilst it works correctly, it appears to the user as if
nothing's happened.

One example of such a client is a screenreader, which parses JS quite
well, and doesn't watch for updated elements. So if you have a link,
or a submit button, and your screenreader user clicks it, chances are
they won't notice the change.

Similarly expand/contract hide/show DOM scripting; passes by.

No way around this.

Now, if your target audience is narrow, then you can probably get away
with this. Alternatively, if your application is so reliant on JS -
for instance, the Google Apps - yeah, you can get away with it. But a
great many developers shouldn't be walling off potential client-base
because of their choice of client.

Just a quick reminder ;)