[wp-hackers] AJAX

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Jun 29 18:03:58 GMT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com [mailto:wp-hackers-bounces at lists.automattic.com] On Behalf Of Elliott Franklin Cable
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 8:53 PM
To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] AJAX

Yeah... i actually must say I do stray a TAD toward the use-ajax extreme, if only for two reasons:

1) I disagree with you - I'd say that in 99.9% of cases, AJAX is 40-50% useless. Decoration is *not* useless - a good user experience is essential to any application, any site, any... anything. I used to host on MediaTemple - then switched to DreamHost because they were cheaper. As soon as I got in, I looked at the control panel and though *euck* - but I put up with it, hell it was cheaper and everything else in the features seemed better. Guess what? The support SUCKED. At least, compared to (mt)'s unofficial 10-minute rule. I go back to mediatemple, notice how well designed and clean the control panel is - easy to find anything, fun to use - and the overall hosting experience was BETTER! Ever used Plesk? It is TORTURE. Because it is so horribly designed and laid out. My point is that good design, an *enjoyable* interface is not only AN element of a good service - it is an _ESSENTIAL_ element of a good service! So using AJAX for decoration isn't not only a bad thing, it can be a good thing (this works the other way around, however - you can use too much AJAX, make the user sick of it, and WORSEN their experience; and again, AJAX is only an element, and a relatively new one at that, of that elusive creature _good design_)

2) I am a Rails developer. Adding AJAX effects in rails is like wearing a different pair of pants, you know, the cool jeans, instead of those old stuffy khakis. No extra work really, just a decision.

The only real PROBLEM with AJAX is when people use it and *DON'T* provide obvious alternatives. It's the rule of developers, if you use a technology to make a task easier for your user, make sure that task can be done (albeit a bit less easy, perhaps) WITHOUT the technology.
When people fail to do this, AJAX is blamed. It's a techie case of 'Guns don't shoot people, people shoot people', nothing more.