[wp-hackers] WordPress 2.0.3 Tuneup Plugin

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Fri Jun 2 21:40:56 GMT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Craig wrote:

> Are we to see future bugs fixed via plugins or is this some kind of
> special case? How come this isn't being entered as a patch, or has it,
> and I'm just not paying close enough attention?

They were fixed in SVN first.

> Taking flak about bugs is one thing, but fixing bugs with plugins is
> messing with my WP-user brain.

I could have offered a brand new download... but "hacked" versions of
WP have historically had a low adoption rate.  It also would require
overwriting no less than three core WordPress files.  The idea with
the plugin is that "it's just a plugin."  People are not overwhelmed
by a plugin like they are by "A NEW VERSION OF WORDPRESS!" or
"HACKING CORE FILES!"  This plugin fixes specific issues, and is
designed for general consumption, not just by the wp-hackers crowd.

It also means that when the next version of WP comes along, people
can upgrade using SVN or by applying a patch and not have to worry
that their patch isn't going to apply cleanly because of any
modifications they might have made to the core code.

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/