[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Mon Jul 31 06:30:43 GMT 2006

>    Anything that uses exec() is unlikely to go in core.

Don't worry - it won't.
For the most part I'm recycling little-used bits of WP code...
I don't see a need (as a plugin dev) for exec. The same way I always used to
install my plugin I can do it now, and uninstall it too.

Look at UTW. It's really complicated and is a perfect example of something
with hooks the whole way through. It's installed with one click. All we want
is a way to tie in that install to the new 'install' hook.

About the servers - I don't get it. People try to get traffic to their
sites. If you put up a site and write a popular plugin - you should accept
the need for a better host. I'm talking from experience too, my articles
have had my host scream and complain when they made Slashdot and digg, but I
didn't think Slashdot was a bad idea because of it, I put up a donation link
and ads instead - then I upgraded servers.

The RDF file doesn't need to be more than one entry long. That's LESS than
ONE kb. Is that _really_ a problem?
If you need hosting that bad I can host your RDF for you or anybody else :)

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/