[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 14:49:31 GMT 2006

> The last thing I want is some cron job checking for updates. I would be
> nice if it could be kick-started from an admin page similar to the
> database backup. Is wp-cron another plugin? If so, I would advise
> against relying on another plugin to do something you can do yourself
> in a different way that makes more sense to the end user.

No, I'm talking about the in-built cron (the one giving us hell with future
posting). If you look back at my message carefully, the reason is simple: no
end-user timeouts.

There _will_ be a user-clickable "check for updates" button, but the main
system should be the wp cron, believe me, when you have a site with over 50
plugins, you don't want to be on the waiting end.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/