[wp-hackers] Update to x Patches

Jamie Holly hovercrafter at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 30 14:40:04 GMT 2006

>I know Mark Jaquith made those changed files packages for the last two
>releases of WordPress. I was wondering on how people would think if it were
>an official package released along side of the release? If you have seen
>phpBB, you know what I'm talking about. They have a changed file release
>that you can download for modded out boards. I figure it would be easier to
>be a part of the official announcements and it should be available on the
>download page instead of be announced on the list.

>I don't know if this would want to be started with 2.1 or not. It would be
>incremental. Like if there was 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 released, there should be a
>patch for 2.1 to 2.1.2 and a patch from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2. It would be easier
>than having to different packages or even more depending on how far behind
>the person is on updating. I still see WP blogs on ZDnet and elsewhere with
>1.5 and 1.3 installed! These diffs could be easily made with subversion and
>then just zip'd and/or tar'd.

I think this is a great idea, especially for people who have had to hack the
core files. I am one of those and had to do some minor hacks on the large
sites I manage. It also makes upgrading easier to just go through and upload
the changed files only, instead of the entire core.

Jamie Holly
http://www.intoxination.net