[wp-hackers] Plugin Management and Autoupdate System

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jul 30 11:28:50 GMT 2006

> Why purposefully introduce stability issues? Assume plugins are broken
> until they are confirmed as working, at which point the max version
> number gets bumped.

Because that's what the FF devs assumed and now it's a big mess (yes, I do
contribute code to the FF project too).

Let me ask you this:
ATM does WP check if the plugin is compatible? No.
Has it been a catastrophe? No.

999 times out of 1000 a plugin won't break because of a new version. To
assume it's broken means you're going to have a lot of people crying when
that new version comes out... but none of that matters because:

Plugin devs are lazy. Let's face it, we're not willing to maintain a plugin
unless there is a serious bug or we have some tasty new features to add -
but to have to update the plugin file with every new WP version is not nice.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/