[wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request

Scot Hacker shacker at birdhouse.org
Mon Jul 24 17:40:11 GMT 2006

> From: Doug Stewart <dstewart at atl.lmco.com>
> Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Future Posting Fix Request
> To: wp-hackers at lists.automattic.com
>>

> I like the thinking, but why not feed Akismet spammers into that
> tarpit
> instead?  I get a nigh-consistent barrage of spammers pinging away
> at my
> comment form, 99.995% of which get caught by Akismet.  Use the
> spammers
> to fire your cron jobs and make 'em wait for the result.

As an aside - I wrote a script to scan  WP  and MT blogs on my server
that have Akismet installed, detect the spammy IPs, and shunt  them
into  the firewall. Very low  impact,  runs every 10 minutes, and so
far  is  doing  a marvelous job. I  know  this  isn't  something that
could  be built into  WP, but thought some folks here might be
interested:

http://www.birdhouse.org/blog/software/reducer.txt

That's based on the CSF firewall for  cPanel, but could  be adopted
easily to  work with  other firewalls.

Scot