[wp-hackers] Feature Suggestion - OneClick Installs

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Thu Jul 20 05:20:11 GMT 2006

> Keep in mind, however, that whatever method we choose won't work for
> everyone since working with files can be an ordeal in most hosting
> environments, especially when safe_mode is involved.

I never understood that - if you're paying for your shared hosting (anything over 5 dollars a month), why do you stay with a host that has safe_mode() on? I've been with over 80 or 90 hosts in my life, from $0.98 a month to $80 a month, and every single one had safe_mode() off.... with the proper permissions and security settings (that a decent program like CPanel will configure on its own), the worst safe_mode() being off can do is allow the user to fu- screw up his or her own account, something that the host technically has no right to stop them from doing so long as they keep paying.

There's plenty of really good and really cheap hosts that don't do safe_mode.

Computer Guru
NeoSmart Technologies
http://neosmart.net/blog/