[wp-hackers] phps for plugins

Sam Angove sam at rephrase.net
Tue Jul 18 00:28:34 GMT 2006

On 7/18/06, Aaron Brazell <emmensetech at gmail.com> wrote:

> But to answer your question, I prefer plugins to be .php files zipped up. I
> don't want to work. I'm lazy like that. Give me a zip or a tarball that I
> can open and drag the files to my SFTP client and I'll be happy.

Well, I *hate* when people do this with single files, because it means
I can't just read the code in the browser if that's all I need. Worse,
since I have to unzip the thing, I can't copy + paste straight to an
in-browser text-file editor on the server, like, in this case, the
plugin editor.

That said, the built in .phps syntax highlighting isn't great. PHP's
highlighter can't distinguish between full pages and inline use so it
won't produce valid documents. (No html, head or body elements, let
alone doctypes and what have you.) If you roll your own highlighter
instead you can include a download link that gzips on the fly.