[wp-hackers] IRC Problems

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 02:21:18 GMT 2006

On 7/16/06, Ryan Duff <ryan at ryanduff.net> wrote:
> This has come up numerous times before and its the same thing...
> photomatt says that #wordpress isn't for support so he really isn't
> concerned with what goes on in there. It has even come up at meetups
> before. I have tried numerous times to get it through their head that we
> do need ops, for the sake of the channel and decency of the community
> and he seems to care less.
>
> There was at one point, a time where we did have a troll, and he did
> give someone ops for about 2 days until the person ended up getting
> banned from freenode.

Actually, I don't think that person was ever banned from freenode, but
I do know that that exact person was back and trolling about again a
few days ago, but I am powerless to do anything, in fact, it took days
of begging in meetups and this list to even get him banned in the
first place.

> This is why I have given up on #wordpress and the community in general.
> His lack of care (for lack of a better term) is what drove me away.
> Wordpress is a great product, but when the community goes to shit, well...

Agreed, entirely.

> Matt, if you're reading this... for the sake of the community, please
> try to understand that giving ops isn't asked for as a status issue, but
> for the good of the community.
>
> Previously we have gone through the issues of how to pick people and how
> it will work... please solicit 5-10 long-time active participants in
> #wordpress and see if they will volunteer. I know most aren't around all
> the time, but if you get a group of 5 that agree, someone should be
> active at most times.

I wouldn't mind seeing this at all, and I know who a few good
candidates are, or at least who might've been good candidates back
when I was on IRC. Who there is now, I'm not sure.

--
--Robert Deaton