[wp-hackers] RE: apache 2.2.2 upgrade

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Sat Jul 15 15:47:56 GMT 2006

WP2's 'object cache' should be disabled on anything except a dedicated
server, along with one of the memory cache drop-ins and not the base system.
And, you should be an intermediate to expert WAMP admin type..

Otherwise, it has been shown to be of negligible performance difference, the
root of a number of security issues, possibly the root of some memory
issues, and the cause of many wacky headaches for new users.

WP-Cache otoh is a descendant of "Staticize", a hack for WP1 that captures
page results as PHP, ALMOST getting to 'static pages'... but not quite since
it still has to load and run some PHP code to get there.  With a PHP opcode
cache, and a well tuned system, I'd expect it to run pretty darn fast -- not
quite raw HTML, but more than fast enough for slashdottings.  It could be
further modified for sites that are primarily static to cache to raw HTML,
if there's no need for PHP to execute (or, PHP could execute via the 'fake
gif link' technique.. or via JS).

-d