[wp-hackers] Close old comments and pingbacks: feature or plugin?

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Fri Jul 14 11:30:44 GMT 2006

___/ On Thu 13 Jul 2006 08:06:25 BST, [ Computer Guru ] wrote : \___

>> Personally, I use Akismet. It does an awesome job. Until a month ago, I
>> used to have all posts open to comments and pingbacks, and I was
>> receiving spam on old entries of about 500 a day. Sometimes, I got
>> lucky and got around 1000 a day or so. Now after closing, I have just
>> about 5-10 per day.
>
> If you get Spam Karma 2, it has a feature that does just that - it
> checks the post date with the date of the last accepted comment and
> compares the ratio of new comments to old comments on older articles
> - it gets rid of most comment spam for old things immediately :D

Hey,  Guru. Love your new posting style! Chetan, I am having
exactly  the same problem as that which you describe. I also
read  your  items  which explain how to  disable  everything
through  phpmyadmin  and I consider doing so myself. Even  a
CAPTCHA  filter  no longer works, after over year  of  being
highly  effective.  I threw away Spaminator quite some  time
back  and  I suggest you try Spam Karma 2. I only ever  hear
good things about SK2. Akismet likewise, but I believe these
two interfere with one another (if not totally collide).

Best wishes,

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
Mem:    514480k total,   479888k used,    34592k free,    33608k buffers