[wp-hackers] updating guid when changing permalinks

John Joseph Bachir jjb at ibiblio.org
Wed Jul 5 03:53:19 GMT 2006

>> WordPress uses the permalink as the GUID, but any unique identifier
>> would do. A post's GUID should never change.
>>
>> That it stops every post from being seen as "new" by RSS readers when
>> the permalink structure changes is the most practical reason why.
>
> Right. We don't change the GUID on published posts even if the slug
> changes. The code is in wp_insert_post().

Ooohh I see. Where else is GUID used? I suppose the only requirement is
that the GUID be universally unique. Which means I shouldn't use slugs at
all because they could be reused on a different blog. I guess some
combindation of the lyceum installations domain name and the post ID in
the database would suffice?

John
----
aim/yim/msn/jabber.org: johnjosephbachir
713.494.2704
irc://irc.freenode.net/lyceum
http://lyceum.ibiblio.org/
http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/